Sports News

How Lymm RFC took a big step towards securing safety

How Lymm RFC took a big step towards securing safety <i>(Image: Contributed)</i>

How Lymm RFC took a big step towards securing safety <i>(Image: Contributed)</i>

How Lymm RFC took a big step towards securing safety (Image: Contributed)

SHOULD Lymm ensure their first season in rugby union’s National League end in them securing safety, their recent home form will have played a big part.

A third consecutive home victory on Saturday moved them to within touching distance of securing themselves a spot in National League Two North for next season as Sheffield Tigers were beaten at Crouchley Lane.

Having fallen 10-0 down early on, Adam Fletcher’s side stunned their visitors with a blitz of five tries in 25 minutes before half time and were able to wrap up a 43-24 victory.

The victory puts Lymm 10th in the table with three games of their season remaining, starting with a trip to Preston Grasshoppers on April 6.

Before then, though, batteries will be recharged with a break over the Easter weekend.

“I thought we were superb from about 10 minutes onwards. The effort and good numbers at training this week really paid off,” director of rugby Fletcher said.

“There were some great performances – Matty Hand in the pack was a powerhouse and Cal Morris had a great game.

“We have now beaten Tigers, Hull and Otley in our last three home games, which is a pretty decent achievement.

“The boys will get a nice rest next weekend so the batteries will be recharged ahead of the trip to Preston Grasshoppers.

“We beat them at home this season and it’s a tough one, but we are all looking forward to it.”

Hand got Lymm’s scoring underway by showing great awareness to take a quick-tap penalty and barge over the line before Ste Pilkington capped a breathless phase of play to barge over and give the hosts a lead they would not relinquish.

Almost immediately, that lead was extended when another quick-tap penalty – this time from Morris – saw the scrum-half race away before finding Harry Martin to take the final pass and finish well.

The bonus point was secured when Sheffield had no choice but to stop a motoring Lymm maul illegally, resulting in a penalty try, and when Paddy Jennings finished off some quick hands down the left, the home side found themselves with a 33-10 half-time lead.

A further try from Oli Higginson followed after the break sandwiched between two efforts from the visitors that ensured they went away with a four-try bonus point, with Jack Reynolds also kicking a penalty.

Lymm: Ralph McEachran, James Pitcher, Matty Hand, Ben Thomson, James Yates, Josh Hadland, Harry Martin, Oli Higginson; Cal Morris, Jack Reynolds; Paddy Jennings, James Kimber, Ste Pilkington, Nathan Beesley, Alfie Simpson. Subs: Rob Makin, Gav Woods, Cash Chilvers, Rhys Lilly, Andy Williams

The Lymm seconds were beaten 23-19 at Macclesfield at the weekend but the thirds enjoyed an excellent result, winning 76-0 away at Altrincham Kersal’s seconds.

Reece Forrest starred with four tries while Liam Sullivan and Chris Kinsey scored twice each as Lymm ran in 12 tries in all.

Simon Beards, Kieran Williams Alan Reddecliff and Tom Baker were also on the scoresheet.

Article courtesy of
Source link

Related posts

Phil Salt smashes second successive hundred as England rack up 267


Immanuel Feyi-Waboso to make first start as England confirm team for Ireland clash


England rugby star to support Cumbrian grassroots side


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy